Tuesday, December 17, 2019

WALKING ON GOD’S PATH


Psalm 25:4
Show me your ways, O Lord,
teach me your paths;

                I have done a fair bit of hiking. I have particularly enjoyed hiking along the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota. That trail follows the ridge line of the Sawtooth Mountains. They are not particularly impressive, as mountains go, but they embody their name. Like the teeth of a saw blade, the ridge goes up and down, up and down. Some of the climbs are particularly steep, as well as some of the descents. Much of the path crosses over rocks and shale. There are tree roots that crisscross the path. In places there are low hanging branches or fallen trees that block the path. So, as you hike along the path you need to watch your step.

                As I have hiked the Superior Hiking Trail, I have realized that much of the time I am looking down. I am focused on the obstacles that are in my way, doing my best not to trip. But by walking with my eyes focused down, I am missing what is around me. In order to really get the full experience of hiking the trail a person has to periodically stop and take a look around. The Superior Hiking Trail cuts its way through some magnificent country. At places there are small patches of wild flowers. There are stretches where you walk through pine groves, and then you transition to birch and poplar. Because the path goes up and down, there are spots where you can experience amazing panoramic views looking out to Lake Superior. At other places you are treated with a view of the seemingly never-ending forest of the north country. You catch glimpses of lakes and rivers hidden among the trees. You cannot see these when you are down in a valley or ravine, they come into view only after a steep climb up to a peak on the ridge.

                On one of my trips on the trail I was made aware of the reality that my focus was often on getting to the campsite for the night. I encouraged my fellow hikers to press on so that we could make our desired destination before dark. But by always passing on, I was missing much of the beauty of the hike. The hike was not about getting to a designated campsite, but about experiencing what was to be seen and felt along the way. The journey itself was the goal.

                The Bible speaks of our relationship with God as a journey, a walk. Each of us is on his or her personal, spiritual hiking trail. Like the trail along the Sawtooth Mountains, our trail is full of peaks and valleys. There are places where, for a time, the trail is level and easy. There are other times when the trail descends into some valley. And still other times when it leads us up to some amazing peak. To walk our particular path takes effort, often determined effort.

                Along our trail there will be obstacles that get in our way. These obstacles, if we are not careful, can trip us up and cause us to stumble and fall. So, as we hike along with God, we need to watch our step carefully. Paul writes, in Ephesians 5:15-16, Be very careful, then, how you live (how you walk) --not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Paul is literally saying, watch your step. It is when we get over confident that we are most likely to trip and fall. Again, Paul warns us in 1 Corinthians 10:12, So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

                While it is essential that we keep out eyes on the path before us, if we focus only on the obstacles, we will miss the glory of God all around us. There are times when God brings us to some spiritual peak and invites us to take in the amazing vista of His grace. At those times, if we will lift our eyes, we will be overwhelmed and amazed at the beauty and glory of God. But we need to periodically take our eyes off of the obstacles even as we walk along the even path or even in the valley, for all around us is the amazing grace of God. Jesus often said to the crowds, those who have ears to hear, let them hear. I would paraphrase that to say, those who have eyes to see, let them see. The blessings of God are not always huge, mind-blowing vistas. There are multiple smaller blessings that we often pass by daily without even noticing them. On one of my backpacking trips on the Superior Hiking Trail, I was so focused on the path before me that I completely missed a Lady Slipper in bloom; a rare and beautiful sight. One of my companions had to get my attention to point it out to me. So, it is on our spiritual journey.

                But there is one more area where we need to reorient our walk. We can become so goal oriented, task focused, that we miss the journey itself. If our goal is to move as quickly as possible through this life so that we can attain our ultimate camping spot, heaven, we will miss much of what God has in store for us. I would venture to say that we will lose some of the reward that God is storing for us in His presence. God has invited us on this journey, not just to get us to heaven, but to shape and mold us as His people. The journey itself is a major part of God’s plan for us and a major part of His gift to us. The journey matters.

                A person does not have to be hiking on the Superior Hiking Trail to experience the beauty and awe of God’s creation. We can experience it on a simple walk through our neighborhood or on a trail in a local park. Most days I walk to my office and I have tried to always keep my eyes open. There is always something that will catch my attention, if a am looking. The tracks of deer in the snow crossing the street and heading across a back yard toward the woods. The small, delicate imprints of the squirrels in the snow as they scurry from tree to tree. The changing stream that I cross every day, from flowing water to a sheet of ice dusted with snow. God continues to leave His fingerprints throughout His world.

                Most of us will not live the dramatic lives of missionaries or have the public exposure of a popular evangelist. But all of us are on a spiritual journey, which God has invited us on. He has challenges for us to face, valleys to traverse, peaks to climb, meadows to cross. He wants to use our personal hiking trail to make us strong, to develop our skills, and to enhance our walk with Him. God is not in a hurry for us to get to the end of our journey. He is far more concerned that we get the most out of our journey. So, He daily invites us to lace up our hiking boots and take a walk with Him.

Hebrews 12:12-13
Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. "Make level paths for your feet," so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.


No comments:

Post a Comment