Thursday, December 19, 2019

A TEAR AT CHRISTMAS


John 11:35
Jesus wept.

                Christmas is an emotional time for me. It has been that way most of my life. There are times when I can hardly make it to the end of Silent Night without choking up. Every time I read the Christmas story, there is a catch in my throat. Most Christmas movies, no matter how corny, catch me off guard and cause me to hide a few stray tears. For whatever reason, Christmas is an emotional time for me.

                This week I received an email from Bethel University President Jay Barnes and his wife Barb. The email contained a short video message. Throughout the video the song Auld Land Sine played in the background as Jay and Barb expressed their gratitude and their joy. What made this message so powerful to me is that it is the last Christmas message that Jay will send out as the President of Bethel. He will complete his tenure at Bethel at the end of this academic year. Because of my involvement with the Converge Board of Overseers, I was able to develop a friendship with Jay. I am happy for him and Barb but sad that he is leaving Bethel. By the end of the video the tears flowed down my cheeks. Christmas is an emotional time for me.

                I struggle with showing my emotions publicly. Because I have been manipulated by emotions in the past, I resist showing my emotions to others, especially when I am preaching. Having said that, I often find myself choking up during a sermon or singing a particular song. I fight to control my emotions, but periodically the leak out. There is no time of the year when that is truer than at Christmas. Christmas is an emotional time for me.

                There is so much about Christmas that tugs at my heart strings. I clearly remember a particular Christmas when I was a boy. On Christmas morning I suggested to my parents that we read the Christmas story to “put Christ back in Christmas.” I’m pretty sure I saw a tear in their eyes. I cannot help but be caught by the joy of children at Christmas. I revel in giving gifts and seeing delight on each recipient’s face. But I cherish most that we are together as a family sharing this special day.

                It has been many years since we were able to share Christmas with my family, although my parents spent Christmas with us two years ago. The distance between us has become a tangible barrier. I have many fond memories of Christmases past. Spending Christmas Eve with the Green family and Christmas afternoon with the Banfields. Those times were always highlights of the year for me.

                Two years ago, we celebrated our last Christmas in our home in Mankato. Everyone was there including my parents, Suanne’s mom and Amin. I so wanted it to be one of the best Christmases even. It is fair to say that it will be a Christmas long remembered, but not for the best of reasons. The stomach flu made the rounds through all of us. We took turns feeling miserable and staying close to the bathroom. Yet, we still had many moments of joy and celebration. It was an emotional Christmas for many reasons.

                This year we will be celebrating Christmas in Michigan with our immediate family. I have looked forward to this for many months. I know that it will be an emotional time for me. I don’t know what our time together will hold, but I already cherish the thought of being together for Christmas. This year will be a new beginning for us, in a new home, in a new stage of life. Above all else, I want Christ to be at the center of this Christmas. For it is really all about Him.

                Christmas is an emotional time for me. A time filled with joy, celebration, and more than a few discreet tears.

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment