Tuesday, February 7, 2012

MAKING PLANS

                We have all heard the truism, “Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.” There is truth in that statement. We all know that we need to look ahead and plan for where we want to go. It is the prudent, reasonable thing to do. Without some kind of planning we wander aimlessly and unproductively through life. Yet our obsession with making plans can actually get in the way of what God wants for us. Isaiah reminds us that our best very best plans often fall short of God’s plans for us. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. [Isaiah 55:8 (NIV)]
                My own life experience is an example of how our plans can sidetrack us. When I was in high school I went on a mission trip. On that trip I felt God calling me into fulltime ministry. Because I was helping at a hospital in Haiti, I assumed that God was calling me to become a medical missionary and serve in Haiti. From that point on I made my plans with that goal in mind. I spent six years preparing. Then God directed me to go to seminary. There He radically changed my course. I had to let go of my plans and accept His. It was not easy, but, looking back now, I know it was the right decision.
                We can get caught up in trying to plan out every detail of our lives, and miss what God is trying to tell us. In fact, when we put our hopes in our plans, we fail to really have faith and trust God. So what should we do? The Bible gives us some clear guidance for facing our uncertain future.
                First, we have the responsibility to plan for the future. God does not want us to sit around and wait for a lightning bolt to crash down and show us the way. Neither does God want us to live only for the moment. Spontaneity is great from time to time, but we cannot live there. God expects us to use the minds He has given us to bring order to our lives. Solomon uses some colorful word pictures to challenge us to take up our responsibility to plan.
                Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest-- and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man. [Proverbs 6:6-11 (NIV)]
                God has given to us great freedom to set our course in the world. With that freedom comes responsibility. Not planning for the future is not an option.  As we plan we need to examine carefully the information that we have. What are our options? Then we need to seek God’s direction. Based on what we know what seems to fit God’s purposes best? Based on what we know, we then can make plans for our next steps.
                Second, we need to hold our plans loosely. Here is where we often mess up. We do our homework and make our plans. Then we sink them into concrete. Even the best plans must be flexible. An inflexible plan is bound to fail because no one can foresee all of the variables. Again Solomon gives us some sound advice. In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.  [Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)] Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. [Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)]
                We need to remember that God is an active participant in all of our plans, whether we acknowledge Him or not. Once we have made our plans we need to submit them to Him. We can expect things to change. We can expect to encounter unexpected twists and turns. Ultimately God is in control and not use.
                That brings us to the last thing about planning. Trust God with your plans. Proverbs 3:5-6 says it best. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
                God knows what is best for us. We can trust Him even when we can’t see the reason behind the things that happen. When we submit our plans to God, He will direct us in the best way. This may not be the easiest path, but it is the best path.
                I recently had an experience that is forcing me to put my plans in God’s hands. I had grabbed a hold of a course of action that I felt was the best. I was already acting as if a certain thing was going to happen. Then my plan fell apart. At this point it looks like that thing I wanted is not going to happen. I’m disappointed, but I am learning anew to trust God. The future is uncertain, but trusting God is sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment