Saturday, September 21, 2024

GPS SPIRITUALITY

 

Acts 17:11 (NIV)
Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

               We recently returned from a trip to North Carolina and southern Ohio. On that trip, we leaned heavily upon the GPS on our phones. GPS is a remarkable thing. It has the ability to guide you to where you want to go, often making course corrections along the way to help you avoid delays. I am thankful for GPS, but it has its drawbacks as well. On several occasions GPS has taken me down roads that I would have preferred not to travel. On a couple occasions it has actually taken me to the wrong destination. In the main GPS is great, but it in not infallible.

               One of the drawbacks of GPS is that we are losing our ability to read a map. While GPS may give you the best route to take from point A to point B, it fails to give you the big picture. I happen to like maps, so when we travel, I pick up road maps whenever they are available. Sadly, paper maps are becoming more rare. For most people today, GPS has replaced paper maps altogether.

               In my devotions, I have been reading a collection of readings from C.S. Lewis. I recently read an excerpt from Mere Christianity called WHY WE NEED A MAP.  Lewis makes the point that our spiritual experiences are enriching and engaging but limited. He illustrates by contrasting a walk along the beach at the Atlantic Ocean to looking at a map of the Atlantic. The experience of walking along the beach may be more pleasurable than studying a map, but it will not get you from England to America. If a person wants to traverse the Atlantic Ocean, they will need a map to get them there. His point is that studying theology may not be as exciting as experiencing God’s presence in nature, but it is the key to actually reaching pour ultimate goal.

               Today, with the rise of social media and AI, I think we have fallen into the trap of having a GPS spirituality. We have traded diligent study of God’s Word for quick answers found on the internet or the latest podcast. We are allowing a kind of spiritual GPS system to guide our spiritual journey rather than studying the map for ourselves. The outcome is often unprofitable and at time dangerous. Using spiritual GPS can blind us to the big picture of God’s Word. It can also lead us down paths that go in the wrong direction altogether.

               In the book of Acts, there is a telling statement. It says that the Bereans didn’t just listen to what Paul had to say, but they went back to scripture to check it out. In my many years of ministries, I have often challenged my hearers to do the same thing. Don’t just take my word for the truth, check it out for yourself. There is only one way to do that and that is to go back to God’s roadmap, the Bible.

               A number of years ago, I developed a class for my church on basic Bible Doctrine. As C.S. Lewis pointed out, many people are turned off by doctrine, but it is essential to our faith. Studying Bible Doctrine can unlock the breadth and width and depth of scripture. It can give us the big picture and help us to navigate the particulars of our journey better.

               In Psalm 119, the psalmist expounds on the value of reading the map.

Psalms 119:97-104 (NIV)
Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me.
I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.
I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.
I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.
I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.

               This is not an uncommon theme in the Bible. We are encouraged to study and meditate of God’s Word. It is both the foundation for our faith and the guide for our spiritual journey. As the psalmist says in Psalm 119:9-10, How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.

               Paul included this same idea in his second letter to Timothy. As he was encouraging Timothy in his role as the pastor of the church in Ephesus, he challenged him to keep his eyes on the map. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)

               It is easy when you travel to become dependent upon GPS. But when the signal is lost, you can get lost as well. It is easy to depend on spiritual GPS to guide your spiritual journey, but when the signals you are receiving contradict one another or radically change course you may find yourself in a place you do not want to be. It is much better to learn to read the map for yourself, and like the Bereans, weigh what you hear through the filter of scripture instead of whatever is currently popular.

Matthew 24:24 (NIV)
For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect--if that were possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment