Tuesday, September 21, 2021

BEARING FRUIT

 John 15:8

    This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

                When we bought our new home, one of the things that I was very excited about was that we had fruit trees; apple, cherry, pear, and peach. In anticipation of a harvest of fruit, I fertilized and sprayed our fruit trees. In the end, my results were less than successful. Our apple tree died. One of our cherry trees produced about a dozen small cherries, with worms. Our pear tree, which had been prolific the year before, produced three or four pears. Finally, our peach tree produced a dozen small peaches, which would not win any beauty contests. Let’s just say that I was disappointed, but I will do my best to get better results next summer.

                Jesus said that it was the Father’s will that his disciples would bear much fruit. His focus was not on peaches and pears, but on spiritual fruit. My experience with my fruit trees may shed some light on the process of bearing spiritual fruit in our lives. There are basically three lessons that we can learn from my fruit trees.

                First, we need to do our part to create a positive environment for fruit to grow and mature. Being a novice at growing fruit trees, I did some research to discover what steps I should take. I learned that if I wanted healthy trees, I needed to fertilize them in the Fall and in the Spring. So I went out and bought fertilizer specially formulated for fruit trees. I also discovered that my fruit trees needed a regular dose of water (surprise, surprise). Fortunately, the former owner of our house installed an irrigation system, which allowed me to water my trees freely.

                When it comes to bearing spiritual fruit, we need to do out part to create a positive environment for fruit to grow and mature. We need to be fed and watered spiritually through personal Bible study, corporate worship, and active service (spiritual exercise).

                The second thing that I learned was that I needed to do my part to eliminate negative influences on my fruit trees, in the form of parasites and fungus. So I went to the nursery and bought some fruit tree spray. I faithfully sprayed my trees according to the guidelines I was given.

                If we want to bear spiritual fruit, we need to do our part to eliminate the negative influences that would stifle our growth. Obviously, we need to deal with any known sin in our lives. We need to keep short accounts with God and with those around us. We also need to pay attention to what other influences we are allowing to speak into our lives. In our negative, combative world, we can get swept along by some unhealthy waves. Instead, we need to heed Paul’s admonition. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. (Philippians 4:8) The voices that we allow to speak into our lives will shape the kind of fruit we produce. If those voices are negative and condemning, we will produce distorted fruit. If those voices are positive and affirming, we will produce good fruit.

                The last thing I learned was that I am not in control of the fruit. I did everything that I knew to do to produce good fruit, yet my results were less than satisfactory. There were things at work outside of my control that hindered a good harvest this year. I am hoping for better results next year.

                When it comes to bearing spiritual fruit, we are not in control of the outcome, God is. Jesus made this very clear in John 15. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.” (John 15:5-6) The essential element for bearing good fruit is remaining attached to the vine, to Jesus. We can do all of the right things, but if we are doing them independently, in our own strength, we will not produce good fruit. It is only as we stay connected with Jesus that His power and strength will flow through us to produce the fruit that we want and He desires.  

                A side note. I have (or had) four different kinds of fruit trees in my yard. They produced four different kinds of fruit. When I was a child, growing up in church, I got the idea that there was only one kind of spiritual fruit; leading someone to faith in Jesus. That idea put a lot of spiritual pressure on me to perform, which I did badly. I have come to realize that there are different kinds of spiritual fruit that God wants to produce in my life. There is the fruit of a character that is being conformed to the image of Christ. There is the fruit of active service to God and others. There is the fruit of a loving community that displays the glory of God. And there is the fruit of introducing others to Christ. But remember, we do not save anyone. All we can do is create the environment where a person can encounter Christ on their own. It is God, through the Holy Spirit, who works to transform a life once they have responded to His call. We are the conduits through which God’s grace is extended to them, but the results are in God’s hands.

                God’s desire for everyone of His children is that we would bear much fruit. He will accomplish that in us if we don’t get in the way by trying to produce spiritual fruit on our own. He is the vine and we are the branches. So, do your part to be ready to bear fruit, then relax and let Christ do His work in you.

Ephesians 2:10

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment