Tuesday, April 12, 2016

LEANING ON CHRIST’S STRENGTH

                This past weekend was a particularly draining experience. We had multiple events, which overlapped with one another, and which I was expected to have a part. Each of these events, in themselves, was a positive experience. Each one was purposeful and touched the lives of specific people. Collectively, they were overwhelming for me. I came to Sunday morning already drained of energy. As I sat alone before the first service, I prayed, Lord, you need to speak through me this morning, because I don’t have much left to give.

                Many people thrive on frenetic activity. They are energized by multiple contacts with people and multiple involvements, which swirl together in a whirlwind of activity. I am not one of those people. There was a time this past weekend when I felt something akin to panic. I needed to just get away from the situation and be alone. To be honest, I felt a little guilty about that, but I was getting overwhelmed.

                I am sure that there were times when the Apostle Paul felt overwhelmed by all that he was involved in. Even though it looks like he fell on the extrovert side of the personality equation, the weight of his passion for the gospel laid heavy on this shoulders. He expressed his personal struggle in 2 Corinthians 11:28-29. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? I can honestly say that I know how he felt.

                There came a time when the pressures of life got a little too heavy for Paul. He referred to it as his torn in the flesh; some obstacle that kept him for fulfilling his potential, at least that is what he thought. He cried out to God to take this torn away, but God gave Paul a different answer. To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

                Rather than taking away the things that Paul saw as a hindrance, God gave Paul the resources to face the challenge. Throughout his ministry, Paul hung onto the grace of God as the source of his strength. So much so that in Philippians 4:13 he could state, I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

                There have been many times that I have prayed for God to just take away the pressure, the challenge, the stress that I was facing. In each case, God did give me relief, but not by taking things away. Instead, He gave me a greater awareness of His presence and His strength. I felt that Sunday morning, as I stepped up onto the stage to deliver a difficult message, with little energy of my own to accomplish the task. Into my personal emptiness, God poured His energy and strength.

                We all face challenges every day. Some are small, small are enormous. If we try to handle these stressors on our own, we will soon be drained. But we don’t have to do that. We can lean on the strength of Christ to guide us through. That is a promise.

John 16:33

    "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." 

No comments:

Post a Comment