Friday, March 21, 2014

FEELING THE FREEDOM

                I took my first, spring, outdoor run yesterday afternoon. If you are not a runner, you may not understand how freeing that was. I have tried to continue to run during the winter on a treadmill in my basement. It exercises the legs, but doesn’t do much for the soul. Running inside is confining. The treadmill, not I, is in control of my run. It determines how fast I run, how far I run and the conditions of my run. There is no doubt that it is a good workout, it just isn’t very fulfilling.

                Yesterday was different. The air was crisp, with just a slight breeze. The familiar path was almost devoid of snow, although I had to hurdle a couple of persistent snow piles. It felt great to stretch my legs to full stride (unfortunately, not quite as full as in my younger days). As I ran, I was able to think and pray. God brought several things to mind that I was able to contemplate as the barren, snow-covered fields slowly passed by. When I returned home, I felt refreshed, in both body and soul.

                During the winter, we are mostly confined to the indoors. There are good aspects to this; nights in front of the fire, reading good books, etc. But during the winter, the days are shorter and the weather throws many obstacles in your way. We have had an above average amount of snow. Normally, this wouldn’t be a big problem, except this was the year my snow blower broke. Shoveling snow is much harder work then running the snow blower. Our driveway narrowed with each snow fall, increasing the height of the snow banks on either side, and adding to the feeling of being confined. Now, as the temperatures slowly, ever so slowly, rise and the snow melts, there is an increasing feeling of freedom.

                Lately, I have been running my life’s race in a confined space. In many ways, I have been in a winter season. The challenges of ministry have been piling up around me. At times, I have felt like the circumstances of life have been dictating how I run. As pressures have mounted, I have felt the energy and life being squeezed out of my soul. Yesterday, the hope of spring reappeared.

                I had the opportunity to meet with a young pastor who is new to our community. As we talked, I instantly recognized a kindred spirit. His words and emotions were a reflection of another young pastor who arrived in this community 26 years ago. I was uplifted by his honestly and humility.

                As I reflect on the events of yesterday, and how they have affected my spirit, I am reminded of words very familiar to me, found in the book of Hebrews 12.
                Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3

                Spring is arriving! It is time to throw off the constraints of winter, and run with freedom the race that God has set before us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the goal of our faith, so that we will not give in to weariness and lose heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment