Wednesday, February 5, 2014

RESILIENCE

                Recently I heard an interview on National Public Radio with a man who has written a book about dealing with our anxieties. He talked about all of the phobias people have. It seems like there is a phobia for almost everything. I found a list on the internet of 530 different ones.

                The author, who suffers from several phobias himself, talked about ways to overcome our anxieties. He said that one of the factors that helps people deal with anxiety is the quality of resilience. It seems that some people are genetically disposed to being resilient, but that everyone can grow in their ability to be resilient.

                If there was anyone who demonstrated the quality of resilience, it was the Apostle Paul. He faced an enormous amount of pressure in his life. In 2 Corinthians 11, Paul chronicles his many misadventures.    Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again.  Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? 2 Cor. 11:23-29

                From a human perspective, we would not fault Paul if he developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Yet, Paul not only survived, he thrived. He summarized his ability to handle whatever life threw at him in Philippians 4:12-13. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

                As followers of Christ, we have the resources to be resilient in life. These resources don’t come from us, but from the Holy Spirit living within us. We all face challenges in life, but we do not have to be overcome by them. We can persevere because of our relationship with Christ.

                For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 2 Corinthians 4:6-10

                I want to remind you of some of the resources we can tap into to help us be resilient in life.
   
We can have resilience because we know we are not alone in the journey of life.
    Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
                When Joshua was faced with the task of taking the people of Israel into the Promised Land, he felt overwhelmed. God assured him that He would not go alone. God would go with him. When we face the challenges of life, we do not face them alone. Christ has promised to always go with us into each challenge.

We can have resilience because we know the ultimate end of our story.
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:25-26
                Admiral James Stockdale, a prominent POW during the Vietnam War, was able to persevere through his ordeal in Hanoi, because he never gave up his faith that he would prevail in the end. We know with certainty that we will prevail. No matter what the world throws at us, we are secure in Christ. We know the ultimate end of the story.

We can have resilience because we have the Holy Spirit within us.
    You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 John 4:4
                When we put our faith in Christ, the Holy Spirit takes up residence in our lives. He empowers us to face the challenges of life with confidence.

We can have resilience because we know that God works through our weakness.
    But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
                Paul faced a physical challenge that dominated his life. He pleaded with God to take it away, but God refused. Instead, God told Paul that he would give him the strength to overcome his weakness. We all face challenges in life that make us feel weak. We are the most vulnerable when we try to face these challenges on our own strength. Our strength is quickly depleted, but God demonstrates the extent of his power through our weakness.

                As followers of Christ, we have an inexhaustible source of resilience that can bring us through every trial. Paul reminds us that, no matter what the situation is that we face, we can overcome through Christ.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment