Friday, October 12, 2012

DAILY FAITH


            I have often struggled with Paul’s words in Colossians 3:17.  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

            What does it mean to do everything in the name of Jesus? What are the practical implications of this statement? To what extent does my “faith” affect the way I live my daily life?

            I was driving home from the Cities one day and I started thinking of all the things we fill our lives with. Unconsciously we compartmentalize these things into sacred and secular. For example, we are very comfortable with music as a form of worship, but we don’t see sports as a form of worship. We see gathering together on Sunday morning as a sacred event, but we don’t see going to work on Monday in the same way. So I ask again, what does it mean to do everything in the name of Jesus?

            Let me share a few random thoughts I have been pondering concerning this question. To do everything in the name of Jesus is to intentionally invite his participation in my activities. In one sense, it is wrong for me to invite Jesus to be present, because he is always present. But I can invite him to be an active participant in the activities of my life. I have begun to intentionally recognize Jesus’ presence throughout my day, inviting him to be in charge of my activities.

            Another way I can do everything in the name of Jesus is to submit to his authority in everything I do. Whenever the Bible speaks about the name of God, it is referring to God’s character, authority and power. Too often, I live my life under my own authority. I make my decisions based on what I want. To do everything in the name of Jesus means I must yield my will to Jesus’ authority. I need to fly the banner of Jesus over everything I do. To be honest, I’m not sure what that looks like in every situation. I do know that at least it means screening my decisions through the filter of Jesus’ authority.

            In the broadest sense, doing everything in the name of Jesus means living by faith daily; as a moment by moment experience. Our faith is not a part of our life that we bring out on Sunday and then put away for the rest of the week. Our faith is intended to be an integral our life. God wants us to live in faith like a fish lives in water. We are to be immersed in faith at all times. So how do we do that?!

            Paul gives us some help in Colossians 3:15-16. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

            This passage gives me some practical things I can do to move in the direction of doing everything in the name of Jesus.

            I can find my sense of wholeness and well-being in Jesus. When the world tears me down, I need to let the peace of Christ rule in my heart. I need to listen to his voice above all others.

            I can live in Christ’s word. The more I immerse myself in the Bible, taking seriously what I read, the closer I will draw to Christ. Like in any relationship, the more I invest in the relationship, really getting to know the other person, the closer we become.

            I can lean on others to support me. Jesus does not want us to live out our faith in a vacuum. We are strongest when we are in community.

            I can cultivate an attitude of gratitude. Instead of taking daily life for granted I can reflect upon the gift that it really is and give thanks to God.

            This week Satan has been looking for ways to discourage me and get me off track. I have felt the sting of the darts of cynicism, futility and doubt. At the same time I have felt the Spirit drawing me into a daily faith I don’t always understand. I have felt spiritually flat and yet had a deep desire to walk with Jesus. I have a growing passion to transform theoretical faith into practical daily faith. I find my heart resonating with the words of Paul, I want to know Christ! I want to know Christ, not just during a worship service on Sunday, but every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment