Tuesday, April 9, 2024

HIGH EXPECTATIONS, EXTRAVAGANT GRACE

 Matthew 5:48 (NIV)

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

               I just finished the first half of a woodworking project. It is a corner cupboard. It turned out okay, but it is not perfect. There are a few things that did not come out the way I wanted them to do. I have been doing woodworking for many years now, but I am still trying to perfect my workmanship. I expect perfection, but I have to give myself grace.

               The same is true in our walk with Christ. We should all have high expectations. In fact, Jesus set the bar very high. During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus set an almost impossible standard for his followers. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:20 (NIV) Jesus was making the point that righteousness is far more than a person’s outward actions. It also includes what’s going on inside of a person. At the end of that chapter, Jesus says that his followers must be perfect. WOW!

               Striving for perfection as a follower of Jesus is a real challenge. The reality is that we often fall far short of that goal. We are not alone in this. Paul struggled with not living up to such a high standard.

Romans 7:14-20 (NIV)
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

               There are those who say that Paul was describing his life before he became a believer, but I don’t agree. Paul was expressing the struggle we all safe, if we are honest with ourselves. In our heart, we really do want to live a righteous life, but our actions do not always match up. We would like to be perfect, but we fall far short of the goal. That is where grace comes in.

               John addresses this in his first letter. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. 1 John 1:8-10 (NIV)

               Jesus set a high standard knowing that we would not measure up. He gave us a way to bridge the gap. When we admit our failure and turn toward Him, He applies His righteousness to our account. He cleanses us from our sin and brings us back on track.

               We have a part to play in this. It is not automatic. Jesus expects us to put in the effort, to strive toward the goal of perfection. But He is there to help us move in the right direction. I think that is what Paul was getting at when he wrote these words. Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Philippians 2:12-13 (NIV)

               I know what it is to beat myself up over my failure to be perfect. That is not where Jesus wants me or you to live. Instead, He calls us to bring our imperfection to Him. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

               We should have high expectations of ourselves as we stive to be like Jesus. But we also need to tap into God’s extravagant grace. Jesus is not wringing His hands over our failures. He knows all about us, and He continues to extend His arms of love and grace in our direction.

Psalms 103:13-18 (NIV)
As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children-- with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.



No comments:

Post a Comment