Friday, January 19, 2024

WHAT’S YOUR STORY?

1 Peter 3:15-16 (NIV)

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.  

               Everyone has a story to tell. Although we may not admit it, most of us want the chance to tell our story. When we get the chance, we don’t always tell our entire life story, but we do share significant events (and sometimes less significant events) from our life story. Back in 2007 I had emergency surgery. I have often recounted the circumstances around that event.

               As a part of my role as the interim pastor at the church I am serving, I formed a Transition Team. As we were getting to know one another, I invited each member of the team to share their faith story. It was fascinating to see all of the different ways that God had been at work in these people’s lives. Sharing our stories drew us together and allowed us to proceed with greater confidence and cooperation. There were so many things in our stories that we shared with one another. It was a great bonding experience.

               I recently finished rereading Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life. I was encouraged and challenged by the way that Warren outlined what it means to live our lives as genuine followers of Jesus. Near the end of the book, Warren stressed the importance of sharing our faith stories with others. I immediately thought of my experience with the Transition Team. Then I realized that I have never shared my faith story with my children and their spouses as a whole story. I had shared many parts of my story, but I had never put it all together for them. So, I sat down and wrote out a three-page summary of my faith journey and sent it to each of them.

               I think I am in good company. The Apostle Paul often shared his faith story. At least three times the story of Paul meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus is recounted. Paul also was willing to share the journey he was on after he became a follower of Jesus. Many people have been blessed by reading and relating to Paul’s faith journey.

               In 2 Corinthians 11, Paul, in his defense of his authority as an Apostle, recounted the trials he had endured for the cause of Christ.  

2 Corinthians 11:22-29 (NIV)
Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?

               Paul was not afraid to tell his story to anyone who would listen. I know that unlike Paul, we are often reluctant to tell our faith story. We think that it might offend people, or they might laugh at us, or they might reject us. Satan uses fear to keep us silent. But we need to have the courage to speak up when the opportunity arises. As Paul says in Colossians 4:5-6, Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. We don’t have to tell our entire story, but we can find ways to share how our faith has influenced our lives.

               I would encourage you to take the time to write out your story and then share it with someone who can give you feedback. Then refine your story so that you can draw from it when the opportunity arises. You don’t have to have the gift of evangelism to share your story. You just need the courage to share it with others. So, what’s your story? How has God shaped and influenced your life?

Acts 1:8 (NIV)
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

  

No comments:

Post a Comment