Tuesday, April 13, 2021

NO PAIN, NO GAIN

 1 Peter 1:6-7

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

                 We live in a society that favors ease over effort. We are enticed by “labor saving devises.” We gravitate to anything that makes our life easier and more comfortable. Who doesn’t want a life with less struggle? But we have come to expect that it is our right to be comfortable and for things to come easy to us.

                One of the consequences of our desire for things to be easy has been the lowering of our standards. For example, some educators want to eliminate the grading of students’ work so that no one feels like a failure. Many states allow anyone to enroll in a State university without regard for their performance in high school. Morally we continue to lower our standards to not only allow but condone every kind of sexual expression.

                When things are hard, we often cry foul. We often react like spoiled children who can’t understand why they can’t have what they want when they want it. The idea of negative consequences for our actions is seen as unproductive and an imposition on our freedom.

                On a much deeper level, when negative things do happen in a person’s life, they often get mad at God or at life itself. “I’m a good person, why did this happen to me?” When I was working as an associate chaplain at the hospital, I often heard people express their frustration when something bad happened to them. I vividly remember one case where the person kept saying, over and over again, I haven’t done anything wrong. Why is this happening to me?

                Subtly this idea that life should be easy has filtered into the church at every level. We invite people to come to faith in Christ because He will solve all of their problems. We promise them a “better” life. Some churches take this even a step farther by promising that if we put our faith in Christ, we will never get sick and we will be blessed financially. Come to faith in Christ and enter into a life of ease!

                None of this is supported by what the Bible has to tell us. In fact, Jesus made it very clear that to follow Him was to choose the harder, not the easier path. Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. (Luke 9:23) That doesn’t sound like the easy life to me.

                Several years ago, I began to run seriously. I set my sights first on running a seven-mile cross country race and eventually raised my sights to running a half marathon.  In order to accomplish my goal, I had to endure the pain of running every day. Once a certain length of run, say one mile, became easy for me, I had to increase it to the next level. Yesterday I went out and ran six miles. The first mile was hard, but with each successive mile it got a little easier. It would have been much easier to stay home and watch TV, but that would not have done much for my overall wellbeing. I run today primarily for my health and not to run a race, but the effort is the same. In order to gain the benefit, I have to put in the effort.

                The Apostle Paul equates the Christian life to running a race. He makes it clear that in order to gain the benefits of our faith we need to put in the hard work. As he said in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

                If I don’t work my physical muscles, they become weak. If I don’t work my spiritual muscles, they also become weak. Always seeking the easy path doesn’t lead to “winning the race.” Peter tells us that the path that leads to the salvation of our soul goes through struggle. Like professional athletes who endure grueling training in order to win the big game, we must go through trials and hardships to strengthen our spiritual muscles. Peter says that it is God’s refining process; to make our faith even more precious than fine gold.

                The church in America has been on a pretty easy path during my lifetime. Compared to many other places in the world, we have been on easy street. That may be changing. In many ways it already has. We can ring our hands and complain to God, or we can buckle down and endure hardship as a good soldier of the cross. God is in the process of refining His church, and it will not be pain free. But the outcome, if we endure, will be a crown of glory. As Paul says, Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)


2 Timothy 2:3

Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

********************

I have been reading Philip Yancey's book "Vanishing Grace". I want to recommend it to you. Although it was written several years ago, it speaks powerfully to the world in which we live today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment