Wednesday, July 29, 2020

FACING GUILT


Hebrews 10:22
   let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

                It was time for music in Mr. Welsh’s 5th grade class. Mr. Welsh announced that we were going to sing as a class. There had been an issue with boys in the class not participating during music time. Mr. Welsh announced that he would be closely watching on this day, and if a person didn’t sing, they would have to stand in front of the entire class and sing the song again. Being the compliant child that I was, I sang with all of the gusto of a 5th grader. Once the song was finished, Mr. Welsh began his slow walk up and down the aisles of the classroom. One by one he tagged certain boys and sent them to the front of the room. When he got to me, I looked up at him and blurted out, “I was singing.” “A guilty conscience needs no accuser. Go to the front of the room.” I was devastated as I trudged to the front of the room to join the group of sullen boys.

                I have been plagued all of my life with an overactive sense of guilt. In school, when someone acted up in class, I felt guilty, like somehow it was my fault. It is not that I haven’t done things for which I should genuinely feel guilty. It is that at times I feel guilty for things that I had nothing to do with or had no control over. Yesterday I had a conversation with a friend about a sensitive social issue, and I went away with a nagging sense of guilt.

                Guilt is a consequence of sin in our world. Before Adam and Eve sinned in the garden, guilt was not an issue. When they lived in harmony with God, they were free from guilt. But, as soon as they disobeyed God’s command, they were overwhelmed by guilt. Their sense of guilt separated them from fellowship with God and from one another. They became self-conscious and hid. When they were confronted with their sin, they responded with excuses.

                We tend to respond to guilt in similar ways. When we feel guilty, we tend to hide from others. We try to cover ourselves, so as not to expose our guilt. When we are confronted, we tend to make excuses, rather than take responsibility for our actions.

                Some in our world today would have us believe that guilt is unhealthy and should be eliminated. Instead of feeling guilty for our actions, we rationalize them. We no longer sin; we make bad choices. We are no longer responsible for our actions; we are the product of our environment. We find ways to ignore or diminish our feelings of guilt.

                Guilt is a natural consequence to sin in our lives. But not all guilt is the same. There is a positive and a negative side to guilt. Guilt can be used by the Holy Spirit to draw us back to God. Guilt can be used by Satan to push us away from God.

                Guilt is always a call for us to examine our lives. Guilt is a symptom that something is wrong. Guilt is a byproduct not the end product. If we focus on eliminating our guilt but do not address the core issue, then we are just masking the problem. Guilt is like having a high fever or a pain in the shoulder. We can try to eliminate the fever or the pain, but if we don’t deal with its cause, it will be back.

                God wants to use guilt as a guard rail to keep us on track. The Bible tells us that this is one of the primary roles of the Holy Spirit.

    When he (the Holy Spirit) comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. (John 16:8-11)

                The Holy Spirit uses guilt to inform, instruct, and correct. He never uses it to demean or destroy. His goal is to awaken us to the reality that we have strayed from God’s path and to guide us back. Holy guilt will always lead us back to Christ. As David said in Psalm 51, against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. All sin is ultimately an offense against God. But by His grace and mercy, He offers us forgiveness and restoration. Holy guilt is always an invitation to come back to God.

                Satan uses guilt to degrade and destroy us. He isolates us in our guilt by convincing us that we are unique and that no one else would understand. He twists our thinking by telling us that what we did was not so bad. He often gets us to compare our actions with others and so excuse ourselves. He also tells us that God doesn’t love us anymore. We have crossed the line of no return, so there is no point in going back. Unholy guilt makes us calloused to sin. Over time, we stop feeling guilty and move farther away from God. Satan keeps us off balance by magnifying our guilt and then excusing it. Satan wants to use our guilt to drive a wedge between us and God.

                We should not ignore our guilt. It is there to serve a purpose. When we feel guilty, the first thing we should do is examine our hearts and look for the cause. Once we have identified the cause, then we need to respond in an appropriate way. We need to take our guilt to God and ask for His forgiveness and cleansing. If we have done this and the guilt persists, we need to examine where the guilt is coming from. Is there still something else we need to address in order to draw near to God? Or is Satan leveraging our guilt to push us away from God? If are guilt is from Satan, instead of dwelling on it, we need to rebuke him and claim the forgiveness that we have in Christ.

                Throughout my life, Satan has used guilt to draw me into myself. At times, my sense of guilt has made me fearful and isolated. But praise God that I have been set free from guilt and shame. Through Christ I have received forgiveness and cleansing. I still struggle with guilt, often justified, sometimes nebulous and undefined. But I know where to take my guilt; to the throne of God. Jesus took my sin and guilt to the cross. There He paid the penalty on my behalf. Because of what He has done for me, I have been set free from unholy guilt and shame.

Hebrews 10:19-23
Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment