Tuesday, April 21, 2020

SOCIAL DISTANCE NOT SPIRITUAL DISTANCE


Psalm 139:7-10
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

                For many people social distancing is wearing then, very thin. Just this morning I saw a news article about another protest calling for the government to open up the country and allow people to get back to normal. Unfortunately, normal has changed. Social distancing has had a positive effect on the spread of the virus, but a negative effect on the economy. Yesterday oil actually went below zero. Refiners are paying suppliers to take their stockpile off of their hands. I read another article that talked about ten major companies that will probably not survive the economic shut down. That doesn’t even touch on the multitude of small businesses that will close. We are experiencing a very difficult time.

                Most people are doing their best to cope with the demands of social distancing. Yet, we are all feeling the strain. We will all be impacted by the larger issues involved. The way we used to interact with one another has changed, and every indication is that those changes will continue on into the foreseeable future.

                Even as we feel isolated and disconnected from our friends and families, we can also begin to feel disconnected from God. I have always marveled at an almost universal bent toward blaming God for bad things that happen, regardless of a person’s belief or lack of belief in God. Whenever a major crisis like this happens, God becomes the culprit. Satan loves to throw God under the bus.

                The good news is that even though we are experiencing social distancing, we don’t have to experience spiritual distancing. In fact, it is as when times are difficult that many people seek God more diligently. In Psalm 139, David reminds us that there is nowhere that we can go where God is not present. Paul reminds us in Romans 8 that there is nothing that can separate us from the love of God, and that includes Covid-19 and social distancing.

                This morning, my devotional guide led me to Psalm 121. It is another reminder that God is not distant from us, even when we don’t feel His presence.

Psalm 121:1-8
I lift up my eyes to the hills--
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip--
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you--
the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm--
he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

                This Psalm reminds us that during difficult times we are not alone. It gives us a strategy for staying connected to God, even as we feel disconnected from others.

                During difficult times, look to God for your strength. Times like this remind of really how weak and vulnerable we are. Over the past century, we have bought into the idea that we are the masters of our world. We are in control of our lives. Yet a small, microscopic virus can shut down the world in a heartbeat. Where do we turn when our vulnerability is exposed? The best place to turn is to the one who created this world. As believers in Christ, now more than ever, we need to fix our eyes on Jesus. He is our help and strength.

                During difficult times, trust that God is still with us. God is not passive during the crisis. God is not distant either. He continues to watch over us. When Paul was faced with his “thorn in the flesh” he turned to God for relief. What he discovered is that God’s grace is more then sufficient to overcome his weakness. God’s grace still is. We all want this virus to just go away, but God has a different plan. His primary goal is not to take away our suffering, but to draw us closer to Himself.

                During difficult times, trust that God is seeking what is best for you. We don’t always know what is best for us. Sometimes the thing that we think is best, upon closer examination, turns out to be negative. Part of human nature is to tell God what should happen and to expect Him to do things the way we think they should be done. When the Psalmist promises that God will keep you from all harm, he is not referring to physical harm. He is referring to ultimate harm, spiritual harm. God cares most about your soul. Our physical lives on earth, although important, are temporary. Our soul is eternal. God often uses difficult times to strip away the superficial and temporary to help us see the truly significant and eternal.

                Social distancing does not have to result in spiritual distancing. Instead, let us allow God to use this “thorn in the flesh” to draw us closer to Himself.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment