Tuesday, May 7, 2019

CELEBRATING READING


2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

“Books are the training weights of the mind” –Seneca
*******

                I did not begin my life as a reader. I came to be a reader later in my life, and I am very glad that I did.

                My Aunt Mil lived with us. I can never remember a time growing up when Aunt Mil was not a part of our household. Aunt Mil was an avid reader. Each night she would make her way to her room with a cup of Nescafe and a book. As my brothers and I grew up, Aunt Mil kept up a constant campaign to make us into readers. On a regular basis, we could expect to receive a book for our birthday or for Christmas, usually something that she hoped would capture our attention. But like most young boys, I was more interested in playing with my toy soldiers or exploring the vacant lot behind our house. Aunt Mil passed away before she could know that her efforts had finally paid off. She never knew that I had crossed the Rubicon and had entered into the ranks of those who love books.

                My love of reading did not come to full form until after I was out of Seminary. Up to that time, reading was a chore. Throughout my many years of school, I read what I was required to read, and I often found that laborious and boring. It was only when I was given the freedom to begin to choose for myself what I would read that reading was transformed from a chore to a delight. Being freed from the obligation to read for a specific purpose, I discovered that I could read for fun. Learning to read for fun opened the way for me to read for my enrichment. Learning to read for my own enrichment has played a significant role in shaping and transforming my life.

                Early in my ministry, I challenged myself to read 12 ministry related books a year; just one a month. For some people that is not a very adventurous goal. For me it was monumental. That simple challenge propelled me into an amazing adventure of learning and discovery. Books became my friend and ally instead of my enemy and nemesis. Some years I have fallen short of my goal, while other years I have far exceeded my goal. But making the commitment to be an active reader has enriched my life in so many ways.

                Books have become the tools of my trade, just as hammers and saws are the tools of a carpenter. Through reading I have been able to sit at the feet of people who are far wiser and more experienced than I am. They have challenged me to examine my life, my beliefs, and my practices. They have brought me comfort and encouragement, as well as needed rebuke and correction. God has used books to awaken me to things I have been blind to. He has used books to stretch me personally and spiritually. He has used books to expand my understanding of this world that He created, and in so doing, has expanded my understanding of Himself.

                Of course, the greatest and most influential book we can read is God’s Word, the Bible. The Bible holds the keys to understanding God, ourselves, and our world. The Bible gives us a realistic window into the human experience. It exposes every aspect of who we are as human beings. It also gives us a window into the spiritual realm. It gives us eyes to see what we cannot see on our own. Most of all, the Bible gives us a glimpse of God; His character, His purposes, and His plan for us.

                Reading is a significant key to unlocking the mysteries of our world. Reading fiction can stimulate our imagination and our understanding of humanity. Reading history can help us put our life in perspective. Reading theology expands our understanding of God. Reading practical, how-to books gives us a chance to expand and refine our skills. Reading classical literature expands our vocabulary and stretches our comprehension. Reading can expand our horizons in so many directions.

                For many years now, with the rise of all forms of technology, the demise of books has been predicted. I pray that it never happens.

*******

1 Timothy 4:13
    Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.

“You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.” – Dr. Seuss


No comments:

Post a Comment