Tuesday, April 16, 2019

IT’S HARD TO BE HUMBLE


James 4:10
    Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

                During my devotions this morning I was directed to read Psalm 23. Psalm 23 is probably one of the most well-known passages of scripture in the world. It is often used at funerals as a source of comfort.

                As I read this familiar passage today, I was reminded of an incident that happened to me while I was serving as a chaplain at our local hospital in Mankato. To put things into context, I was an on-call chaplain, which meant that I was usually being called in at a critical time for the patient and their family. Although I served in that position for over a decade, I was always apprehensive and a little unsure of myself when I was called in.

                On this particular occasion, I was seeking to give some comfort to a family who had just lost a loved one. Not knowing what their spiritual background was, I asked is I could read the 23rd Psalm for them. They agreed. After I finished, they asked if we could say the Lord’s Prayer together. We bowed our heads and I began, “The Lord is my shepherd…”

                I was puzzled by the fact that the others were not praying with me, so I stopped. Sheepishly, one person pointed out that I was not reciting the Lord’s Prayer but the 23rd Psalm. To say the least, I was embarrassed and humbled. I’m sure the people wondered what kind of a pastor would mix up the 23rd Psalm with the Lord’s Prayer. As I left the room, I could not believe that I had made such a blatant mistake. My focus was totally on me. I had forgotten why I was in that room in the first place.

                Most of us are not outwardly arrogant, but we can allow complacency to blur our vision. We can fall into a comfortable routine, which tends to put the focus on our needs and wants, and lose sight of those around us. We can become the center of our own world without realizing that we are doing it. At those times, God will often slip some incident into our lives that makes us aware of our frailty.  Those embarrassing mishaps are often God’s way of getting us to take another look at where we have placed our focus.

                James tells us that we should intentionally humble ourselves before God. When we do that, He will put our life into proper perspective. True humility is not looking down on ourselves, downplaying our strengths and exaggerating our weaknesses. True humility is having an honest and realistic view of ourselves. It is recognizing our faults, without letting them dominate our thinking. It is fully embracing our strengths, without drawing undue attention to them. True humility is turning our focus away from ourselves and looking outward, in a positive way, toward God and others.

                True humility begins with having an honest estimation of ourselves. Paul challenges us to look in the mirror to gain a realistic image of ourselves. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. (Romans 12:3)

                True humility also creates an honest image of those around us. Paul challenges us to take the focus off of ourselves and place it on others. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:3-4)

                True humility brings with it the blessing of God. God created us not to be doormats, but to be His masterpieces. Like a proud parent, God is delighted when His children use their gifts and abilities well. Like a wise parent, God is ready to confront self-promoting arrogance in His children. But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6)

                It is hard to be humble in a world that has made self-promotion a virtue. Yet, if we are to follow Christ, we must follow the path of true humility. During this Holy Week, we are reminded that Jesus willingly humbled Himself on our behalf so that we might have life eternal.

Philippians 2:5-11
    Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

    Who, being in very nature God,
        did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    but made himself nothing,
        taking the very nature of a servant,
        being made in human likeness.
    And being found in appearance as a man,
        he humbled himself
        and became obedient to death--
            even death on a cross!
    Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
        and gave him the name that is above every name,
    that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
        in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
        to the glory of God the Father.



No comments:

Post a Comment