Saturday, June 16, 2018

Check it out!

      In preparation for our recent trip to England, I pulled my well-worn copy of "Meeting God in Quiet Places" off of my shelf. This delightful devotional was written by F. LaGard Smith. Each devotional is set in the context of his daily walks in the English countryside. I thought, what better way to prepare to for a trip to England.

      As I was reading "Meeting God..." I wondered if LaGard had written anything else. To my surprise and delight, I discovered that he has written 30 books covering a wide variety of topics. (LaGard is a lawyer, and taught criminal law for many years. He is now retired.) One of the titles immediately caught my attention. "Troubling Questions for Calvinists and the rest of us" Within the first few pages of that intriguing book I was captivated.

      At the end of the preface, an e-mail address is given through which you can connect with the author. I took a risk and sent him an e-mail stating that we would be traveling to England in May. He graciously replied and invited us to stop by his cottage in Buckland. We did, and had a delightful time with LaGard and his wife Ruth. It was truly one of the highlights of the trip for me.

      I want to encourage you to check out his books. I can specifically recommend "Meeting God in Quiet Places" and "Troubling Questions for Calvinists". Both of these are worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment