Tuesday, February 28, 2017

THE BATTLE WITHIN

                We live in a world that is permeated by sin. The ruler of this dark age has come out of the shadows and now stands in the lime-light. Things that used to be hidden in the shadows are now openly broadcast and celebrated. Paul summarizes the world in which we live in Romans 1:32. Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. All of us feel the influence of a sinful world pressing in on us.

                There are two dangers that still lurk in the shadows, of which we must be aware. These dangers are more subtle, yet can be more deadly. Satan is using the arrogant demonstration of obvious sin to divert our attention from his more subtle attacks upon us.

                The first danger is that we begin to believe that we have somehow entered a new world of sin that has never been before. The affect of this is to get us to look backward with longing for the good old days. We remember the past with idealistic eyes and selective memories. We long for the days of societal morality, when everyone knew right from wrong, and acted accordingly. Even though technology has changed and the visibility of blatant sin is more obvious today, things are really no different from back then. Remember that Paul described a corrupt world back in the first century. Long before Paul, Solomon warned us about looking at our world with rose colored glasses. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time. Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 Nothing has really changed over the past 2017 years.

                The second danger is far more damaging. It is the danger of putting our focus on that bad world out there, and failing to deal with the sin that is within us. All of us are tainted by sin. Through our faith in Christ, we have been redeemed and our sin has been forgiven. But our old sin nature is still fighting to take back control of our lives. Ultimately it cannot win, but it can hinder our spiritual growth. This was a battle David knew well. David is known as a man after God’s own heart, yet David struggled with the battle within.  The Psalms give us a window into that struggle, as well as a strategy for dealing with the struggle.

                First, we must be honest about the battle within. We are too quick to excuse and downplay our own sinful desires. If we can keep the focus out there, we don’t have to deal with what is going on in here.  David calls us to be honest with ourselves. Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. Psalm 19:12-13

                Second, we must be honest with God about our struggle with sin. Like Adam and Eve, our tendency is to hide our sin. We don’t want to let God see it. Yet we cannot keep it from Him. We know that our sin is wrong, but we hold onto it because it gives us some temporary satisfaction. But that sin creates a barrier between us and God that keeps us from becoming all that God wants us to become. David modeled an open heart before God. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Psalm 51:3-4 He also sought to keep an open line of communication with God. Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me! Psalm 66:16-20

                Third, we need to counter the influence of sin with the power of God’s word. God’s word is the antidote to the sin sickness that flares up in our lives. The more that we live in God’s word, the more we can build up a resistance to sins allure. Personally, I am most susceptible to temptation when I have neglected my time in God’s word and prayer. David knew that his strength came from God and not himself. How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. Psalm 119:9-16

                Lastly, we need to rest in God’s grace. We are on a spiritual journey that will be filled with some amazing victories and some demoralizing defeats. Satan loves to attack us when we are most vulnerable. That could be just after some spiritual high point, or at a time when you are physically and emotionally weak. He is a master at tripping us up. The good news is that Jesus has already taken care of it. We are secure in Christ, even when we stubble along the way. We can trust in Jesus’ unwavering grace and love for us. Although David did not know Jesus, he did know the assurance of God’s love and grace. His words can give us the strength to keep fighting the battle within.   

                The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children-- with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts. Psalm 103:8-18

                Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103:1-5




    

No comments:

Post a Comment