Tuesday, January 17, 2017

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

2 Corinthians 3:4-6
Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

                We all have those days from time to time. The weight of responsibility lays heavy on our shoulders. We wonder if we are really up to the task. We begin to feel that we may not have what it takes to do the job. Our confidence is shaken by a nagging feeling of incompetence.

                When I was in Seminary, I worked as a Laboratory Technologist in a local hospital. The fact that they hired me in the first place was definitely an act of God. I had a BS in biology and an Associate degree in Med. Lab. Tech. The hospital took a chance on me, and hired me to be the weekend, night technician. I was grateful for the job and the opportunity, but also apprehensive about my ability to fulfill my role. During my very brief orientation, I was informed that I would be performing EKG’s as a part of my job. I was given a half hour intro to the procedure. The first time I had to perform an EKG I bungled the job. I can still hear the doctor walking away from me muttering “incompetent.” I never failed to get it right from that point forward, but that word hung over my head constantly.

                There have been times in my ministry where that word, “incompetent”, has raised its ugly head. I have never heard it said by another person, but I have clearly heard it spoken. This past Sunday was one of those days. In some ways, it was a perfect storm of things converging on Sunday morning. I have been fighting a lingering illness for over two weeks, so my energy level was low to begin with. Then, it was Sanctity of Human Life Sunday, which is always a challenge to get right. I was preaching on genuine community, which is challenging enough. On top of these things, we had a presentation from the InterVarsity staff that we support and we had a parent/child dedication. I went into Sunday morning feeling slightly defeated before the first service even began. Then , I got to the very end of the 11:00 service and was informed that I had forgotten the parent/child dedication. And in my ears rang the word “INCOMPETENT!”

                The Apostle Paul understood that feeling. For all of his background and training, there must have been times when he felt in over his head. But he came to realize that even when he felt incompetent, God was not. As he says in 1 Corinthians 3, our competence comes from the Lord. I can affirm that insight. For all of the times that I have felt overwhelmed and not up to the task, God has always come through. Although I messed up my very first EKG, I went on to work that job in the hospital for a year and a half. When I resigned they asked me to reconsider and stay. For all of the times I have felt incompetent in the pulpit, God has kept  there.

                As I begin a new week, there are more challenges ahead. But I know that God’s grace is sufficient to enable me to navigate those challenges, especially when I feel in over my head. It is God who puts it all together for our good and His glory.

Galatians 6:9

    Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 

1 comment:

  1. Dave, your vulnerability and honesty are to be commended. A pastor who admits where he falls short is one who is highly valued and appreciated! I thought the sermon on Sunday was fantastic, by the way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete