Saturday, September 26, 2015

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

   I recently read an editorial in our local newspaper that was talking about the trend in America to elevate personal happiness above everything else. The author summarized her point by saying that we are chasing the pursuit of happiness on steroids.

   Recently in my devotional reading I came across a proverb that seems to speak directly to our age. Proverbs 23:29-35
    Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
        Who has strife? Who has complaints?
        Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? 
    Those who linger over wine,
        who go to sample bowls of mixed wine. 
    Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
        when it sparkles in the cup,
        when it goes down smoothly! 
    In the end it bites like a snake
        and poisons like a viper. 
    Your eyes will see strange sights
        and your mind imagine confusing things. 
    You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
        lying on top of the rigging. 
    "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt!
        They beat me, but I don't feel it!
    When will I wake up
        so I can find another drink?"

   This proverb led me to another that addresses the same perspective.
Proverbs 14:12
    There is a way that seems right to a man,
        but in the end it leads to death.

   God must have thought that it was important for us to get this message, because these words are repeated verbatim in Proverbs 16:25.

   We live in a society that wants to throw off restraint and live as if there are no consequences for our actions. The Bible warns us that having that mindset is not a wise course of action.

   Just something to think about!
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment