Wednesday, May 13, 2015

EXCUSE ME, YOUR SINFUL NATURE IS SHOWING

                Sometimes we forget that we are all sinners saved by God’s grace. Through faith in Christ, we have been clothed with righteousness. We have been justified by God and are no longer under the threat of condemnation. But, that does not mean that our sinful nature is eliminated. It no longer has control over us, but it still lurks in the shadows, waiting for an opportunity to trip us up, if we are not careful. When we begin to think that we are above sin, we are treading on thin ice. John states it very clearly in 1 John 1:8-9. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

                This lesson was brought home to me yesterday. I was confronted with an issue that had long term implications for my personal life. As I was discussing the matter with another person, my sinful nature slipped out. I became agitated and raised my voice to inappropriate levels. Fortunately, I did not say anything vulgar or derogatory, but I was much too forceful in expressing my opinion. Almost immediately, I was aware that I had crossed the line, and that I needed to apologize, which I did.

                Paul wrote to the Galatians to be on guard against the very type of situation that I was facing.  Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. (Galatians 6:1) This verse reminds us that we can never let down our guard against sin in our lives.

                It is far easier for us to see sin in other people’s lives than in our own. We wonder how they can be so blind, when their sin is so obvious to us. It is at that moment that we are in the greatest danger. Jesus was very clear that, before we judge others, we need to take a hard look in the mirror. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.” Matthew 7:3-5

                Paul says that those of us who are spiritual should restore them gently. Instead of making us proud, that statement should make us careful. Spiritual in this case does not mean perfect, but discerning. A person with genuine spiritual insight can see things others miss. This should not lead to arrogance, but to compassion. When my children fell and hurt themselves, I didn’t chide them for not being careful. I picked them up and comforted them. A person caught in sin knows they are in trouble. What they need is someone to come alongside of them and help them get back on their feet. This can only be accomplished when it is done gently and with humility.

                Paul goes on to warn us about falling into sin ourselves, even as we are trying to help another person recover from their fall. The danger here is not that we will fall into the same sin as the other person. The danger is that we will fall into the sin of arrogance, pride and judgmentalism. We will trip over our own self-righteousness. When a soldier is wounded in battle, his buddies don’t chide him for not being careful enough. They do their best to get him to safety. We are all in the midst of a spiritual battle. When one of us gets spiritually wounded, the others need to come to his rescue.  


                I have been reminded this week of how easy it can be to let my sinful nature trip me up. In an unguarded moment, it exploited my vulnerability. It revealed an area of my life where I have failed to really let Christ be in control. My response needs to be one of humble repentance and a renewed commitment to letting Christ be Lord over all of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment