Tuesday, December 9, 2014

EARLY IN THE MORNING

                I am not a classic morning person. It takes a hot shower and a cup of coffee to get me going. But I really like early mornings. I enjoy being the first one up in the house; when everything is quiet and before the busyness of the day has erupted. I enjoy being the first one to arrive at church, so I can have some genuine quiet time. I like seeing the first rays of the sun peaking over the horizon. I like early mornings.

                It all began back in college. I was the dining hall manager for breakfast. That meant that I had to be at the dining hall by 6:00 AM every morning to start the process of setting up for breakfast. I loved emerging from my dorm, after a fresh snowfall, and making the first set of footprints across campus. I would enter the quiet dining hall and begin arranging things for the morning; making coffee, arranging the carts of plates and silverware, checking in with the baker, and grabbing one of the first fresh donuts coming from his amazing machine. At about five minutes to seven my crew would come stumbling in. At 7:00 AM, I would unlock the doors for the first students. I have liked early morning ever since.

                When my children were still at home, I would get up early and make their breakfast, before they headed off to school. I still get up early to have my breakfast and to start my day with some quiet time with the Lord. I do not make it every morning, but the majority of the time I start my time in the office with devotions and prayer. It sets the tone for the rest of my day.

                The gospels tell us that Jesus used the early mornings as His time to be alone with the Father. Once the sun came up, Jesus was pressed, from all sides, by people demanding His attention. By evening, He was exhausted. Yet each day, He would rise early, to be refreshed and renewed for the challenges ahead of Him.

                Mark gives us a snapshot of Jesus’ daily experience in Mark 1:32-37.
                That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. The whole town gathered at the door, and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.
                Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!"

                Not everyone is at their best early in the morning, but, for me, it is the most refreshing time of the day. Most days are filled with demands, expectations and deadlines. There is always someone or something clamoring for your time and attention.  But early in the morning, it is quiet. The world is still. There is time for quiet reflection. There is time to get prepared to face the day.

Lamentations 3:22-23
    Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
        for his compassions never fail.
    They are new every morning;
        great is your faithfulness.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment