Wednesday, October 8, 2014

THE HEAVENS DECLARE THE GLORY OF GOD

            I got up this morning in time to see the peak of a lunar eclipse. I could see the shape of the moon in the western sky, but it was dull and faded looking. As the minutes passed, a sliver of bright light began to emerge at the top of the moon. It continued to work its way down the face of the moon until it was almost completely uncovered. As I drove to my office, I was blessed by two contrasting sights. On the western horizon sat a large full moon, with just a hint of shadow at the bottom. On the eastern horizon I could see a bright orange glow as the sun began to rise. It was a magnificent sight. At that moment, I thought of the words from the Psalmist; the heavens declare the glory of God. This morning was a visual, tangible example of that very truth.

            I settled into my chair at my office to begin my morning devotions. I wrote several thoughts in my journal, including some remarks about the glory of the morning. Then I opened my Bible to the place marker. The words leapt off of the page.

Psalm 19:1-6
    The heavens declare the glory of God;
        the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
        night after night they display knowledge.
    There is no speech or language
        where their voice is not heard.
    Their voice goes out into all the earth,
        their words to the ends of the world.
    In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun,
        which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion,
        like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
    It rises at one end of the heavens
        and makes its circuit to the other;
        nothing is hidden from its heat.

            This was no coincidence. God was clearly speaking to me about His glory and His presence. The message was clear; I am here!

            There have been times in my life when I have struggled with feeling God’s presence. In my head, I know the reality of God. I know that He is, and that He is everywhere present.  Yet I struggle with feeling like He is far away, or is not paying attention to me. King David often struggled with these very same thoughts. He recorded them over and over again in the Psalms.

            Over the past couple of months, I have been struggling with discerning God’s leading and direction in my life. I have wondered about what God’s plan might be. I have dreamed about what could be, and have had some of those dreams dashed. I have agonized over the feeling that I may have lost my way, or that I may, in some way, be hindering God’s plan. Just this week, several things have happened that will directly affect my journey in the near future. I have faced these decisions with both hope and apprehension. Then the dawn came.

            This morning I was reminded that God is still on the throne. I don’t know all that the future holds, but I do know who holds the future. Whatever the outcome of recent events, God’s plan will move forward. God’s glory will be revealed.

Psalm 19:1
    The heavens declare the glory of God;
        the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment