Friday, May 9, 2014

NO UNFINISHED BUSINESS

                I am working on a couple of projects in my workshop right now. I am working on building a new bedroom set. I have two nightstands completed. I have several pieces cut out for the headboard and footboard for the bed. I also have a toy dump truck almost completed and I have started to cut out the pieces for a toy backhoe.

                I often have several projects going at the same time. I really enjoy the process of cutting the pieces to size and fitting them together. What I don’t enjoy is the staining and finishing. First, I have to sand everything to a very fine surface. Then I apply the stain, which takes 24 hours to fully dry. Then I apply several coats of clear finish. Each coat takes several hours to dry and requires more sanding. It is a slow, tedious process that keeps me from doing anything else in my shop.

                As a pastor, I have a number of projects going at the same time in my ministry. Some of these are long-term projects and some are more immediate. Some are very time sensitive, while others are very important, but not urgent. Like working with wood, there are parts of this process that I enjoy and parts that I get bogged down on. I often stumble when I get to the finishing process. Although I have done it numerous times, I still struggle with getting a project from paper to implementation. Unfortunately there are some projects that slip through the cracks and remain unfinished for far too long.

                As I was engaged in my devotions this morning, God drew my attention to Paul’s words in Philippians 1:3-6. I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

                It would be fair to say that Paul had many projects going at the same time. God had called him to be the Apostle to the Gentiles. He took his calling very seriously. Paul traveled far and wide, sharing the good news of the gospel, and planting new churches. He did not do this all on his own. God gave him traveling companions who assisted him, as well as gifted new believers in each town and village. Paul often got a new church going and then moved on to another town. These new churches were like the beginning stages of my woodworking projects. Paul would identify some key leaders, give them some instructions and then expect them to begin assembling the parts. He would check back regularly to see how they were progressing. At times he had to undo what had been done and start over. At other times, all that was required was some strategic shaping and sanding.

                I subscribe to Wood magazine. Every month, it provides me with detailed plans for a number of projects. It was from that magazine that I got the plans for the toy dump truck and for the bedroom set. The plans tell me what I need, how to cut and shape the pieces and how to put it all together. Without the plans, it would be far more difficult. But the plans are only writing and pictures on paper. I have to take those plans and transform them into tangible results.

                Paul knew that God has a master plan for redeeming a lost world. God had revealed those plans to Paul, and Paul, in turn, revealed them to others. It was up to Paul and the leaders of these baby churches to take those plans and turn them into tangible results. But unlike the plans in Wood magazine, God was (and is) an active participant in the process. The plans are His and ultimately the end product is His as well. What God starts, God finishes. There are no unfinished projects with God. The reality of that is what kept Paul energized. He knew that he could not accomplish the enormous task God had given to him alone. Only if God worked through him, could Paul see things brought to completion. Paul was able to live with confidence, because he knew that success did not depend totally on him.

                As a pastor, I often fall into the trap of assuming that the success or failure of my ministry rests completely on my shoulders. It does not. I have a significant role to play, but I am not in this alone. God raises up other workers to partner with me. God oversees the entire project. And in the end, God does the finishing work. Most of ministry is made up of long-term projects. At times it seems like we are making no progress. But we can be confident that the projects that God begins, God finishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment