Saturday, February 9, 2013

SALT AND LIGHT


                I have begun a sermon series on the Sermon on the Mount, found in Matthew 5-7. This week I have been struggling with Matthew 5:13-16.

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

                I have been struggling with this passage because it is simple, profound and convicting. Jesus states that, if I am a follower of His, I am the salt of the earth and the light of the world. It is not something that I have to strive to attain. It is not an optional add-on to my basic faith package. Being salt and light is an inherent characteristic of being a disciple of Jesus. That reality faces me with the question, what does that look like in my life? In what ways am I being what Christ says that I am?

                I have always been attracted to salty people. For whatever reason, God has placed into my life a number of people who, let’s say, have had some rough edges. These people make me uncomfortable at times, but they also challenge me to be genuine and honest. Most of these people have been unbelievers, yet they have been winsome in their own way.

                When it comes to being salty for Christ, I have learned a few things from these salty people. First, too much salt repels. Sometimes these people go too far and I pull away for a time. Too often, when we are trying to be salt for Jesus, we empty the whole salt shaker at one time. Instead of being attractive, we are overpowering.

                Salty people challenge me to see things in a different way than I normally do. As a pastor, this is a very good thing. I can become isolated in my theological bubble and lose touch with the world around me. To be truly salty for Jesus, we need to help people see things in a new and different way.

                Salty people usually give you room to be yourself. Because they are individuals, in the truest sense of that idea, they allow others to be individuals as well. They are comfortable with dissonance and don’t feel like they have to resolve everything. As followers of Christ, we need to be more open to the individuality of people. I am not suggesting that we shape and mold the gospel to fit people’s chosen life-style. What I am saying is that we need to stop trying to make spiritual clones. It is the Holy Spirit’s job to transform a life. We may have to live with a few rough edges for awhile while he does his work. After all, we all still our rough edges. We are just not as keenly aware of them.

                Jesus also said that we are the light to the world. I was up in the north woods with some friends, taking a walk after dark. I had on a headlamp with those powerful LED lights. It was doing a great job lighting the way. But as we were talking, I turned to face my companion and, unintentionally, blinded them.

                Primarily being the light of the world is illuminating the path of faith. Yet, so often, we turn the light on the individual and blind them instead. If we do a good job of illuminating the path, we can be assured that they will at least explore it.

                I will always struggle with the implications of this powerful passage for my life. I desire to be salt and light for the glory of God. Sometimes I fail to get out of my salt shaker. Sometimes I pour on too much salt. And sometimes I blind people. Praise God that the true Light of the World is at work in me constantly adjusting my salt and light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment