Saturday, April 21, 2012

GOD IS AT WORK

Philippians 2:12-13 (NIV)
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.


            God has been at work in my heart this week and I don’t fully understand it. I had the opportunity to attend several meetings that both encouraged me and challenged me. I have also been reading a book that his stirred some things in my heart. I have found myself asking the question, “What is God doing in me?”

            In Philippians 2:12-13 Paul tells us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. I feel like that is what I have been doing this week. I have been struggling in a positive way with what it really means for me to live out my faith on a day to day basis. There are two extreme ways of looking at this. We can choose the very radical idea that we are supposed to disregard all the “normal” things of life and just preach the gospel. The other extreme is to become totally consumed by the “normal” things of life and forget about God, except maybe on Sunday morning for an hour. As with most things, living at either extreme is not the right place to be.
            I have come to an understanding that working out my salvation is a process of seeking to conform to the will of God in every aspect of my life. What matters most is which direction I am headed. Am I heading toward Christ or away from him? I don’t have it all figured out, but I truly desire to live a life pleasing to God. I want to grow in my love for Christ and my love for others. I think God has been transforming my heart in this area this week. I firmly believe that I have the responsibility to do my part to bring my life in line with a Christ-like image. I wish I could say that I always succeed, but I do not. This discourages me at times. There are times when I feel like my spiritual life is static and dry. There are also times when I sense the power of God in amazing ways.

            This week I had the privilege of praying for the President of Bethel University at a meeting of our Board of Overseers. I sat next to the President as I prayed for him. I reached over and placed my hand on his shoulder, and as I prayed I was overcome with the power of the moment. Unexpected and uninvited emotions welled up as I prayed for God’s protection and guidance. When I finished praying I was humbled by the experience. I was asked to pray two more times this week and on each occasion I felt the hand of God upon me. My prayers were not “standard” pastoral prayers, but truly heartfelt expressions of gratitude and worship of God.

            The second half of Philippians 2:12-13 tells us that God is at work in us to do His will. One of my strengths is that I take responsibility for things I am involved in. The downside of that is that sometimes I take responsibility for things that I should not. This usually results in some form of unhealthy guilt. When I was a child, adults could make me feel guilty about things I wasn’t even involved in. This week as I read the book I mentioned above I started feeling those guilt pangs. What the author wrote is true and right but it is not necessarily my experience. I had to check the validity of my emotions. Then, in several amazing ways, God assured me that He is using me to further His kingdom.

            I have been reminded today that my faith is a journey that I am taking with Jesus. I am learning to work out my salvation in the different areas of my life. When I get discouraged I have to take the time to stop, turn around, and examine where I have come from. I can see God’s hand at work and the progress that I have made in becoming more like Christ. I am also learning to be more and more sensitive to the work of God in me. When He prompts my heart I need to respond. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. When I do respond I experience God’s blessing. When I fail to respond I miss out on God’s blessing.

            One of the things that God has impressed upon me this week is that I have a voice for Jesus that is influencing more people than I realize. I take that very seriously. I cannot let that paralyze me in fear of saying the wrong thing. At the same time I need to be diligent to speak the truth clearly and often. There are two passages of scripture that seem extremely relevant right now.

             And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17 (NIV)

            And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. Colossians 1:10-12 (NIV)

            I find myself in an exciting, confusing, challenging time. I sense that God wants to do something amazing through me and in me, but I’m not sure what it is. So I will continue to press ahead with fear and trembling and anticipation of God’s hand at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment