Friday, March 2, 2012

ANOTHER LOOK AT PRAYER

            I am learning to be more honest with God in prayer. I have always struggled with using the right words. When I was growing up the prayers that I heard in church were all filled with “Thee” and “Thou” and punctuated with “Lord”. Prayer seemed very formal. The people I knew didn’t talk that way most of the time, but when they prayed their language changed. I guess I was programmed to slip into prayer language whenever I prayed.
            I still struggle with this today. I begin to pray and realize that I am talking to God in a formal, impersonal way. When I realize this I stop and apologize to God. Then I start again. I try to be more conversational, and more genuine.
            Our small group has been studying Philip Yancey’s book on prayer. In one of the lessons he challenges us to have the courage to be honest with God. Tell God want you really want or what you really feel. Don’t pray what you think God wants to hear. I am so guilty of that. So I have been trying to be honest with God. I have been asking for exactly what I want (at least to the best of my understanding). I am trusting God to take my honest prayers and answer them according to His will. I understand that He may (and often does) answer “No” to my request. But I also know that He still wants me to bring those requests.
            There is great power in prayer, but it is not magical. There are no magical formulas to use that will guarantee that my request will be answered the way I desire it to be answered. Yet the more honest and open I am in prayer the more I feel the power of God in my life.
            Someone once said that we will always be beginners at prayer. I believe it. I’m still learning.

A Reflection On Prayer

I went to prayer the other day
I traveled along a familiar way
On my knees I began to start
To open to my God my heart

The words began to flow with ease
My Father in heaven I sought to please
Then in my heart I heard a voice
To listen I had no choice

Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know I’ve traveled life’s sod
Be still and know that I’m aware
Of all the things that cause you care

Be still and know my love is pure
Be still and know my grace is sure
Be still and know that I am God
Together let us walk life’s sod

I went to prayer the other day
I returned home another way

No comments:

Post a Comment