Friday, January 20, 2012

MAKING GOOD CHOICES

I had a conversation today that reminded me of how difficult it is at times to make good choices. We are faced with the need to make choices all of the times. Many of the choices we make are pretty minor. Whether I have a hamburger or a chicken sandwich for lunch really doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. On the other hand which job opportunity I take will have significant affects on my life. We often agonize over the decisions that we have to make. We are afraid of making the wrong decision, yet not making a decision is just as bad. As followers of Jesus, we face the added pressure of wanting to know and do God’s will.
                Choosing between options is a significant part of our walk with Christ. There are several occasions in scripture where people were commanded to choose. For example, Joshua 24:15. “But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Jesus instructed us to consider carefully our options before we make our decision. "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'” [Luke 14:28-30 (NIV)] Obviously making good decisions is an important thing, so let’s take a closer look at it.
                Whenever we make a choice for something we are also making a choice against something else. In other words, every choice comes at a cost. For example I knew a young adult that was looking for a summer job. This person put in applications at several places. One place called him back and offered him the job, which he quickly accepted. A couple of days later he received another call from another place offering him a job that paid more than the first job. Having accepted the first job he struggled with what to do. If he turned down the second offer he would have to accept less pay. On the other hand if he accepted the second offer and quit the first job he would do damage to his integrity. In the end he decided that his integrity was of more value than the extra pay.
                I believe that God allows us to make these kinds of decisions and then works through them. Sometimes our choice is clearly between a right decision and a wrong decision. At other times it is deciding between a good choice and a better choice. Paul tells us that whatever decision we make God is still an active participant. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. [Romans 8:28 (NIV)] There are certain things that God wants to accomplish in our lives. This will become a reality if we truly seek Him. Sometimes we take the straight path to that goal and sometimes we take the long way. Either way, if we are seeking God, we will find Him.
                I have often been asked how a person can know the will of God for their life. Usually when this is asked there is a specific choice facing the person. Do I take this job or that job? Is this the right relationship for me? Should I stay where I am or move somewhere else? These are not unimportant questions, but I would suggest they miss the point of seeking God’s will. Seeking God’s will is not about making the right choices. It is about aligning my life with God.
                The starting place in determining God’s will is His word. If I could summarize God’s will for my life and your life it would be Jesus’ words in Mark 12:29-31. "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." These verses give us the framework for making choices in life.
                There are many other verses that expand on God’s will for us. An example is 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. The first step to finding God’s will for me is to put into practice the things that God has already made clear. What this does is it aligns my will with God’s will. Now when I am faced with a specific choice I can make my decision out of a godly context. The Psalmist states it this way in Psalm 37:4.  Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
                Here is where faith comes into play. I have a decision to make. I run the decision through the filter of what I know is God’s general will for me. Then I ask myself, what is the desire of my heart? Taking into consideration all of the material factors I make my choice and trust God to work through that. Please don’t misunderstand what I am saying. I am not advocating making foolish or hasty decisions and expecting God to clean up my mess. I am saying that if I am truly seeking God’s will, then whatever decision I make God will use that to guide me in his direction.
                Let me give you a very personal example. When I was in Jr. High God took hold of my heart in a profound way. After going on a mission trip to Haiti I was convinced that God was calling me into full time service. I set my sights on becoming a medical missionary. I was sure that God was calling me to go back to Haiti and serve Him there. From that point on I set my heart on accomplishing that goal. I majored in biology at college and then attained an Associate Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology. I did everything I could to prepare myself to be a medical missionary. But something didn’t seem right. I did not feel spiritually prepared to take on that role. So I enrolled in Seminary. During my first year in Seminary God tapped me on the shoulder in a clear way and redirected me into pastoral ministry. I have now been a pastor for 30 years. I still have a heart for missions, but that was not the path that God wanted me to take. Some may think I wasted all of those years preparing to be in missions. I can tell you that God used those experiences to shape me into the person I am today. He took my choices and used them for His glory.
                The choices that we make in life do matter. They shape our character. They set the direction of our lives. But we don’t have to be paralyzed over making decisions. I believe that we have more freedom than we realize. God is not wringing His hands hoping we don’t mess up. He gives us the chance to choose which raw materials He gets to work with and then, with great delight, He uses those raw materials, like a master craftsman, to create a unique work of art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment