Friday, November 4, 2011

BEING A PLODDER IN AN ENTREPRENEURIAL WORLD

I’m a classic plodder. I move at a deliberate pace. I am not necessarily slow (as some determine slowness) but I am no speed demon.  Today the call is for entrepreneurs. Society applauds those who live on the cutting edge of life. So does the Church. We call these transformational leaders. I really want to be one of those but I’m afraid it’s only a dream.  In the old fable The Tortoise and the Hare I am definitely the tortoise.
                This is beginning to sound like a pity party, but let me assure you that is not my objective. No, instead my objective is to raise awareness of the need for plodders in our often frantic world.
                Recently I ran my second ½ marathon. I learned some things from my first experience. The most important lesson I learned was to set an honest pace. Let me explain. Last time I let the excitement of the event and the natural adrenalin-rush push me at a pace I was not accustomed to. Remember this, a ½ marathon is 13.1 miles. I set a goal of finishing in 2:30; an attainable goal for a first attempt. When the gun went off I surged forward with the rest of the crowd. I felt strong and allowed myself to be swept along. When I crossed the first mile marker I looked at my watch and discovered I had run it in 8 minutes. I was excited. That was faster than anything I had done in my training. I ran the second mile in about the same time. My expectations began to soar. Maybe I could break 2:00. I settled into a “comfortable“ pace and  followed the human stream forward. At about 8 miles or so I began to feel the strain of my fast start. Although I didn’t crash my pace began to drag.  At mile 12 I began to question my ability to finish. I did finish, and I beat my goal. I finished with a time of 2:11, but I was exhausted.
                This year I did something different that changed my whole race. I set a goal of running the race in under 2:10. But this time, instead of allowing the excitement of the event push me forward, I found the appropriate pace runner and stayed with him. He set the pace to finish the race in 2:00. I knew that I would want to start a little fast but not too fast. I stayed with the 2:00 group for 10 miles. After that I began to tire but I was still in good shape. I crossed the finish line at 2:01:56. I did better not because I was better prepared, which I wasn’t, but because I understood my pace.
                I have been reading a book on Leadership called The Leader’s Journey. At the heart of the book is the concept of knowing yourself. Most of us in leadership are driven by forces outside of ourselves. We want to please the people who we are leading, whether that is in a church or in a business. We look around us at other leaders in our same position and we begin to measure ourselves against them. Consequently we quicken our pace. That is not always bad, to find a legitimate pacer in life is a good thing.  At the same time we have to know our own pace. If we keep trying to match our pace with every new “star” who comes along we will soon exhaust our energy and give up on the race.
                I have made another observation about being a plodder. In the long run plodders cover much more territory than sprinters. There are glowing exceptions to this rule; people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. But in the norm many cutting edge people cut their effectiveness short. This is seen in pastoral ministry with the trend to change churches every five years or so. The pastor comes in with great enthusiasm and ideas. He or she carries the congregation along on their spiritual adrenaline. When the energy begins to lessen, the pastor moves on to the next opportunity. Studies have shown that churches that keep their pastor for an extended period of time are healthier and accomplish more, even if they move at a slower pace.
                One more thing. Being a plodder does not mean being lethargic or lacking direction. If I can digress back to the ½ marathon I think I can make myself clear. During the ½ marathon I encountered different terrain. Some of the course was fairly flat and allowed me to keep a steady pace. But there were also hills and valleys. I had to slow down going up the hills, exerting more energy. I also sped up on the down hills, taking advantage of the natural effects of gravity. All of it was a part of the same race.
                In life we face plateaus, hills and valleys. Each requires a different level of effort. There are times when we must slow our pace of progress. There are times when we must accelerate our speed.  But in the normal activities of life we need to keep a constant pace. That pace should always be just a little faster than we think it should be. All of us can push a little harder. In reality if we are not pushing a little we are slowing down.
                I am learning to let the faster runs pass me by. I still am tempted to match their pace. At times I do try to sprint to catch up to them. But I am learning that God made me a plodder and a plodder I shall be. In the end I will finish the race with joy because I persevered until the end.

REFLECTIONS ON A WEDDING

                Our family has entered a new phase of life. Our oldest son, Jonathan, has just gotten married and we now have a daughter-in-law.  I am still trying to get used to that. Abby has been a part of our life for the past year or so, but now that relationship has changed dramatically. By God’s grace we have entered into a life-long relationship that I hope will grow and mature over the years. What made the difference? One hour in time.
                We gathered at the church for the wedding rehearsal. People were light hearted; most casually dressed. I had on an open collar shirt, a sport coat and my black, high-top Converse All-Stars. We had joked with Abby about wearing Converse for the wedding, but she wasn’t buying it. So at the rehearsal Elizabeth, Lindsey and I wore Converse, just to keep things light. The rehearsal went well and we all made our way to the rehearsal dinner. As we were driving there I realized that as the father of the groom I probably had to say something clever at the dinner.  I didn’t come up with anything so I just welcomed the people and thanked them for sharing in this significant moment with us. After an amazing dinner we went back to our room and I slept soundly.
                The day of the wedding I began to feel the beginnings of emotion rising up within me. I was performing part of the ceremony and I had determined not to break down. Before the wedding began I had the chance to get alone with Jonathan and tell him how much I love him. Both of us cried; in a controlled manly way. I told him that I would try not to do that during the service; a promise I wasn’t sure I could keep.
                The music began and we all took our places. I stood up front and watched each couple make their way down the aisle. When my daughter came down the aisle I had to fight back the tears. Then it was time for Abby to come. As she came down the center aisle she was struggling to keep from crying. Why do we do that at weddings? It’s an exciting, happy time, yet we blubber like babies. Oh well, back to the story. The music faded and I began my part. I was doing great until I had to announce the names of the couple and then I momentarily choked up. I quickly caught myself and proceeded. I made it through the message and the vows and all of that. Then it came time for me to pray for the couple. As I prayed the tears began to flow freely. There was nothing I could do to stop them. I was struck with the enormous significance of the moment. I was struck with the awesome awareness of the presence of God. I finished my prayer and Abby’s father declared them husband and wife. I spoke the benediction with power and joy and then presented them for the first time as Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Banfield. At that moment I knew my world had changed forever.
                As I write this Jonathan and Abby are still on their honeymoon. I hope they are having a great time. When they return to their new home the reality of this will begin to settle in. Two people have become one. Two families have become one. Life has changed forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment